Sunday, January 01, 2006

new year's resolution

before i begin to discuss what i hope to make different about my life for the upcoming calendar year i would love to recap my past couple days :)
on tuesday i flew to chicago on probably one of the best flights i have ever had. the flight crew was hillarious! :) i was picked up by a couple friends and we took the metro to the hotel. the next day we woke up very early and went shopping around chicago and then went up to their home in michigan. i spent a couple days venturing around michigan and on friday the three of us with their dog drove down to tennessee and we celebrated the new year and they left this morning.
it was sooooo nice to be with good friends cause it has been 6 weeks since i have moved. i knew that hanging out with them would make me miss california and i do. i am also reading this book about "waiting" while you are figuring out life and part of me still questions whether the move was a good thing. the idea of working in music is appealing, of course, but is it really where my heart lies? we all got in a conversation about going back to grad school, which is something we all want to do, but when is a good time? am i really willing to accumulate that much more debt for education? i do miss school so much.
all this rambling does lead to the topic of discussion... my new year's resolution. a couple weeks ago i thought that new year's resolutions are stupid, why prolong what can be done today? like, if i am going to lose weight, why should i wait until january 1st to do it? what is the difference between november 29th versus january 1st?
anyways, after a great discussion over dinner last night there is one thing that i would like to start to work on, and probably started this when i moved here but now it's in my mind and i am going to actively pursue it.
finding out who i am...
i know what you are thinking,
we always are trying to find out who we are. this i understand, but i have lived a life dedicated to serving everyone but me. don't think this is me turning into an egotistical self-centered person, but more as a "to serve others better i need to care about myself too." for example, i would become sick from not sleeping and stressing so that others could live easier and i can't keep doing this or my life won't go as long as i will anticipate it to. there are things i know; my favorite color is green, i like rock music, etc. but what do i want out of life? what do i want out of moving to tennessee? essentially i need to answer the question, "what do i want" as opposed to "what is it that others want me to do"

1 Comments:

At 1/06/2006 8:52 AM, Blogger Karina Bissinger said...

I completely understand. I am 39 and I am still firguring stuff out.

It has been helpful for me to also ask what does God want from me? After all, he created us and he has our best interests at heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home